Since 1967, UCS has been the catalyst and resource to ensure that the human service system meets the needs of Johnson County, Kansas residents. UCS is a planning partner with United Way of Greater Kansas City and provides information, trends analysis and documentation to enhance community-wide planning and decision-making. The core work of UCS is illuminating needs and solutions through Education & Advocacy, fostering a framework for collaboration through Mobilizing & Planning, and prioritizing community investments through Targeted Resource Allocation.
UCS annually presents the Human Service Awards. The awards pay tribute to individuals and organizations making a lasting difference in the community. Read about our current award recipients and view our list of past recipients.
The mission of United Community Services of Johnson County is to provide data analysis, lead collaborative planning and mobilize resources to enhance the availability and delivery of health and human services.
UCS’ vision is that all people have the opportunity to fulfill their potential and contribute to the health and well-being of the community.
Based on the belief that all individuals and entities contribute to and share responsibility for the common good, the following principles guide UCS activities:
- Human services play a vital role in a healthy community, advance quality of life and contribute to economic vitality.
- All community sectors play valuable roles in advancing human service solutions.
- Human services can be strengthened through policy advocacy and resource investment.
- Collaboration fosters a comprehensive approach to multi-faceted challenges.
- Community planning can produce strategic change and improvements.
UCS Intended Impact
United Community Services is committed to a community in which:
- Local human service concerns are recognized and addressed.
- The health and human service network responds effectively to community concerns.
- Resource allocation meets human service needs.
- Indicators of individual and community well-being show improvement.